Payment services provide the objects and methods you need for making calls to carry out a payment transaction. The following sequence outlines a payment transaction:
- A consumer places an order.
- Using a payment API, the merchant securely transfers the order information to CyberSource.
- CyberSource formats the transaction detail and, through its payment gateway, routes the transaction authorization request to the processor.
- The processor routes the transaction to the consumer’s payment card-issuing bank to request transaction authorization.
- The issuing bank (issuing the payment card for Discover or American Express transactions) authorizes or declines the transaction.
- CyberSource returns the response to the merchant.
- The issuing bank approves the transfer of money to the acquiring bank.
- The acquiring bank credits the merchant's account.
This diagram shows how real-time electronic card processing works: